I think chmod (and chown) got me into this problem to begin with ;-)
I wish I could remember exactly what I did.

> chmod -R -w dirname

Would this make the mac files readable and 'executionable' (ie unlocked) on
the mac partition if I were to boot up (not from Mandrake) the Mac OS ?
Or,would it only give the mac files  - in Mandrake's case -  root  privileges
to +w every file,so that if I entered the mac OS they would still be 'locked'
to a mac user who is not,of course,'root' ?

Perhaps I  _should_  just try it...