On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:24:04 +1300
SnapafunFrank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>         append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
>         read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz2610
> label="failsafe2610"
>         root=/dev/hda5
>         initrd=/boot/initrd2610.img
>         append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
>         read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz267
>         label="failsafe267"
>         root=/dev/hda5
>         initrd=/boot/initrd267.img
>         append="failsafe noapic acpi=ht devfs=nomount"
>         read-only
> other=/dev/hdb1
>         label="windows"
>         table=/dev/hdb
>         map-drive=0x80
>            to=0x81
>         map-drive=0x81
>            to=0x80
> image=/boot/vmlinuz2422
>         label="linux2422"
>         root=/dev/hda5
>         initrd=/boot/initrd2422.img
>         append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
>         read-only
> #other=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2
> #       label="linux90"
> #       table=/dev/hdb
> #       image=/boot/vmlinuz
> #       root=/dev/hdb5
> #       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> #       append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
> #       vga=788
> #       read-only
> image=/boot/memtest-1.11.bin
>         label="memtest-1.11"
>         read-only
>
> Hope someone is suitably impressed ~ I can boot the lot seen here
> (other  than the system on the slave hdd) albeit that except for
> linux263, the  others are only to text consoles at the moment
> because I have yet to  compile the new nVidia drivers as I have
> done for the 2.6.3-7 kernel.
>
> And oh yeah - haven't convinced Jan yet so the default is still
> Windows  - got to get my LAN started so that she can play her
> cards on Linux  without probably knowing it initially. No, she
> ain't dumb, I'm just  being a little sneaky is all.
>
> Anyway, back to my problem.
>
> I do not believe that starting out with " image=/boot/vmlinuz "
> will not  work because there is nothing in that to tell lilo to
> find the image on  the slave (hdb) drive. Please correct me if'n
> I'm wrong here!
>
> To explain how I got WinMe to work you need to understand that
> windows  must think it's in control, hence the 'map' entries - I
> turn things on  for windows then turn them off again ~ enough to
> fool windows into  believing it is in control.
>
> So, though starting with "other-" may not be the way, I need to
> tell  lilo where to find the image I want it to use, and that
> critter is in  the boot partition on hdb which the current system
> sees as "  /mnt/hdb2_boot ". Lilo of course would see it as
> /dev/hdb2.
>
> Basically, lilo needs to be pointed at that partition the moment I

What I've done in the past (not saying it is the correct way to
do it, or the only way) is to copy all the necessary files out of
/boot from all partitions which had bootable linux distro's
installed on them - to /boot on the partition which would be
controlling the booting process (I even copied all files from /boot
on the partition controlling booting to all the others - wasn't sure
if that step was needed but appeared to not hurt anything) then I
was able to set these two entries in lilo.conf like this;

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="Mandrake9.1"
        root=/dev/hdb5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
        vga=788
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
        label="RedHat9"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
        append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
        vga=788
        read-only

You are correct that "image=/boot/vmlinuz" probably wouldn't work on
your system because that is typically a link to which ever kernel
version is installed.  Your system appears to be setup to not use
such a link, so you would just have to show it as
"image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.whatever.version.youhave"

then you would also need to modify "initrd=/boot/initrd.img" to
point to what ever version of initrd you would be using, like your
other entries in lilo.conf do.

if you were to copy vmlinuz, initrd, config, etc. (not exactly sure
off the top of my head which files you need to copy out of /boot -
anybody know off hand?) from your 9.1 install IRC to which ever
partition that controls your bootup, then instead of;

other=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2
        label="linux90"
        table=/dev/hdb
        image=/boot/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/hdb5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
        vga=788
        read-only

how about this;

image=/boot/vmlinuz.your.version.here
        label="linux90"
        root=/dev/hdb5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.your.version.here.img
        append="noapic devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"
        vga=788
        read-only

other than that, I would tend to suspect that maybe root=/dev/hdb5
may need to have a different partition number instead of 5.

Hope I am not too confusing!

--
Linux user #280097
http://counter.li.org