I didn't have this problem myself, but I know some others have had, and I
think they were cured by adding peripherals back after install. I'm not sure
whether ohci, uhci and hotplug were all installed at initial installation, or
whether they had to be added as well. Keep us informed of your progress and
we'll see what we can sort out.

Thanks Anne

Rebooted with scanner unplugged and this time got as far as "checking for new hardware". I waited five minute - not sure how long to wait. Nothing happened so stopped it.

The other thing I forgot to say, was that on the first boot after install I received a message saying 'Welcome to first boot' but mouse wouldn't work. I thought it was detected correctly during the install, but perhaps not. It is a MS intellipoint on USB. I can change it to standard mouse connection with an adapter, if this would help. I have a recollection that mouse was a problem a few years ago with linux and had to call it something else.
Thank
Rosemary