Mohammed Badran wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Erylon Hines Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:59 AM

Exactly my thoughts. I've had this problem with the Lucent chip modems
with kernel 2.6.x. The versions must match exactly (as well as the gcc
version that the kernel and driver are compiled against). If you can afford an external SERIAL modem get one, because every time the kernel changes the

Winmodem driver must be changed also.  It is truly a PITA.

Ok I will try to find a US Robotics external modem I just want to make
sure that's good

Thank you all

Mohammed

If it is truly serial - it will work. I choose routers that have a network port rather than USB for the same reason - they uses existing protocols that have been well and truly tested over the years.

I even have a couple of modems here which I have on standby in case my DSL goes down.

--
Thanks,

David