Chris wrote:

I'm still trying to remove the 'skip' in XMMS when getting streaming audio. I've got it set to a renice value of -20, Kmail to a setting of 15, firefox to a setting of 19, mozilla 19 and my two gkrellm stacks are set at 19 each. I'm still getting the 'skip'. In the snip from man renice, it mentions PRIO_MAX. What would that setting be? Or is -20 the max renice setting?

The super-user may alter the priority of any process and set the
priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX. Useful
priorities are: 20 (the affected processes will run only when nothing
else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), any-
thing negative (to make things go very fast).

I though only root could renice something higher then 0. I haven't checked lately, but in the past, trying
to renice something to -20 as a user didn't do anything.

Mikkel