Derek Jennings wrote:
The scenario is that yesterday I had about 1 gig free on my /
partition....
----------snip---------->8

If you have more than one partition 'df' is useful to find the partition that is filling up.

Definitely /

[I'm back in X, BTW ... I deleted the .gz'ed log backups, which apparently gave me just barely enough free space to get back in, then I removed a few programs, giving me a bit more space, via the GUI.

Yes you can delete stuff in /tmp as well as anything in ~/tmp (your home tmp folder), and can delete any core dump files you find (they are named 'core.xxx' )

You could also remove any archived log files in /var/log

To make logrotate run use the command
logrotate -vf /etc/logrotate.conf

Too help you in the future it is a good idea to install Midnight Commander
(urpmi mc) so you can navigate the file system in the command line.

Installing anacron (urpmi anacron) will ensure your log files and /tmp folder do not fill up in the future by ensuring logrotate gets run daily.

Once you have X running again fsv (in contrib) is great for visualising where all your disc space has gone.

hth

Wonderful. Thanks. I have a few things to check out, then. I've been running with roughly the same free space on / for quite some time now, so not sure what caused it to suddenly begin filling up. Appreciate the detailed info above. Again, thx. :-)

--
Chuck MATTSEN / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / Mahnomen, MN
MT Lookup: http://eot.com/~mattsen/mtsearch.htm

Random Thought/Quote for this Message:
     Give me where to stand, and I will move the earth.
          -- Archimedes, 300 B.C.