On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote to kde-users with my woes and they haven't been able to help (thus
> far, anyway) other than to suggest a reinstall.
>
> Just installed my fresh new mandrake 6.1 with k.
>
> when I run kmail for the first time it set up its new mail folder in my
> user folder and then fails to do anything else. kmail does not load. no
> interface and no error messages other than:
> *** KMail got signal 11 *** KMail got signal 11
>
> (I wonder if anyone grammer-checks error messages. ;-))
>
> and kmail fails to load with subsequent tries.
>
> all other apps seem to work ok ... but all the kde apps' tool bars are
> mangled. some of the icons are blacked out, some are in the wrong place. --
> the icons work, ie clicking them does what they are meant to; but you can't
> tell by looking at them what they are meant to do.
>
> here are the error message I get when I load a kapp:
>
> KToolBarButton: pixmap is empty, perhaps some missing file
> KToolBarButton: pixmap is empty, perhaps some missing file
> KToolBarButton: pixmap is empty, perhaps some missing file
>
> like I said, the suggestion I received was to reinstall. So i did, again
> off of ftp. and again the exact same phenomena occur.
>
> help, please?

Keith...just got through posting a suggestion. This sounds
disturbingly like the problem that has been reported with kcmclock.
Try "rpm -e kcmclock" and then try "rpm -Uvh kdelibs" and see if that
helps EITHER of these problems.
I'm *guessing* (not yet having installed/upgraded to 6.1) that this
will solve BOTH problems.
        John