M.Schild wrote:
I am actually writing this in linux using web email because can't get
kmail/kontact going to send mail!

Probably going to be a simple thing I know.

I remember having that sort of problem too but cannot remember why. Not much help but it was a simple thing
marsye

Assuming that you have your outgoing smtp server setup correctly, and this server is in hostname form rather than IP address, check that you can ping the server, or in a shell type:

telnet the_server_name 25

(Hint: CTRL-] to exit then quit at telnet> prompt)

this will open a smtp session to your ISP server.

If this fails 'unable to find server' etc, it could be a DNS issue, is your /etc/resolv.conf being updated when your modem connects via the dhcp client? If not, find out what the DNS servers are of your ISP and add the entries:

nameserver x.x.x.x

for each one.

Try telnet connect again. Any joy?

Also, did you sign up with a diff ISP when you got the modem, if so, you won't be able to connect to the old ISP mailserver as you are now no longer on a trusted network.

PS: if you browser is working via hostname lookup on the same machine this is probably not the cause of your problem as the browser needs DNS to resolve web URL's.

HTH

--
Thanks,

David