On Monday 14 February 2005 11:02, Melissa Allen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been having a modem configuration problem (with Mandrake 10.1)
> similar to the one that Rosemary describes, except that I am still
> trying to configure the internal modem (56K PCI Data/Fax Modem) on my
> machine (Dell Dimension 3000-Celeron processor 320).  I tried Brian
> Phinney's experiment with 'ln -s /dev/ttyS(n) /dev/modem' and have
> tried ports up to ttyS7 (the modem is on COM3 according to Windows, so
> I expected to be able to connect with ttyS2, but I tried all of these
> just to be sure).

Melissa, my suggestion was strictly applicable to an external serial modem
that connects to a hardware port on the computer.  It won't work for an
internal modem because that is not a "real" modem.  A driver must be loaded
to create the com port for an internal card modem.

Well, unless it is one of the very old and expensive kinds of internal modems
that are "real" hardware modems.  I don't think that they make those kind any
more.

> I have also visited the site that Anne Wilson recommends below.  When I
> have tried various ports in KPPP and then used "Query Modem", I am only
> able to receive "query results" for ttyS0, but the results show all of
> the fields (ATI - ATI7) empty.

You should try to go to the http://linmodems.org/ site and try to get
information about how to install the driver for your particular modem.  Given
your error, there is no way for me to try to figure out what is wrong.  I
would need to see the script you are running to see if there is a dependent
package that is missing.

Or buy an external serial modem for $15 US, which is by far the less
troublesome route.

--
Bryan Phinney