On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 19:05 -0700, mike wrote:
> Chuck MATTSEN wrote:
> > Same with Firefox ... my bookmarks are still there, and my Google
> > toolbar is still there, but I've lost the ability to make profile
> > changes (it warns it couldn't write to the profile and any changes would
> > be lost upon shutting down the program).  Any ideas there, again, other
> > than starting over with the new profile?

> You could delete the "xxxxxxxx.slt" in your ~/.phoenix/default/
> directory and restart Firefox.
>
> Sometimes thats corrected some strange happenings for me. I did not
> lose my settings when deleteing "xxxxxxxx.slt". Restart Firefox and
> it will create a new "xxxxxxxx.slt" with your old settings.
>
> May help, I don't know, I don't use the mdk rpm version.

Thanks, but proved not to be necessary (at least with Firefox;
Thunderbird is still borked but, again, I'm migrating to Evolution,
anyway, just want to have access to that old mail if I can).  With
Firefox, what I ended up doing was doing an import of the bookmarks from
the old profile; it didn't balk at that at all.  Then I simply
downloaded and installed the plug-ins I wanted, as I'd likely have had
to update them anyway.  So, Firefox is fully functional again, and more
or less in the state it was prior to the upgrade (with the exception of
version changes, of course).  That was relatively painless.

Thunderbird is proving to be more challenging.  I tried copying the mail
dirs for safekeeping then a urpme followed by a urpmi, which gave me a
functional copy of TB, albeit with a brand new, empty profile.  Then
tried moving some of the old mail dirs to the new profile, and got
*some* of my mail back (Inbox and one other folder with unread mail
showed up, but none of the others ... odd).  I may end up just calling
the old mail a lost cause, unless someone has any other ideas.  I'm
still trying to find info at the Mozilla-TB forum, but I tend to get
lost there and find everything but what I'm looking for.  :-)

So, it's not in the critical category, but rather in the "gee, wouldn't
it be great if" category now ... still important, but....

Thx.

--
Chuck MATTSEN ... [EMAIL PROTECTED] ... Mahnomen, MN
Registered Linux User #346519