-----Original Message-----
From:   Bryan Phinney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tue 15-Feb-05 23:44
To:     newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject:        Re: [newbie] modem problem (still!)

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 06:57, Hugh Dixon wrote:

> Just a remark for others to comment on.  My understanding (very
> preliminary) is that the Intel Hyper Threading technology (Pentium 4 3.2
> GHz for example) uses the SMP kernel.  The Hyper Threading Technology
> (copyright etc?) makes the processor look like two processors.  I use one
> of these at work under a usoft operating system.  The lads from Redmond
> make the processor appear to be two in all the reporting and diagnostic
> tools.  I think Mandrake (Linux?) does the same.  (In mcc go to "hardware"
> and open the "processors" tree.  The HT processor shows as 2 processors.)

I had considered something like that but for the record, my Dell is a Pentium
4 M, 1.8Ghz, so I think that doesn't include the HT technology.  Still, never
seemed to do any harm.

--
Bryan Phinney

Laptops were mentioned in hte e-mail, and I don't think they use the HT yet.
I think I read somewhere that the SMP Kernel is more responsive for a desktop
system.  I'd really like someone who knows something to confirm my rumours
though..

Hugh

<<winmail.dat>>