[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Can anyone suggest a simple route for downloading minicom suitable for use in ML 8.2. What I found left me wondering if I was looking at the right thing. I have little to no knowledge in linux.

Forget it. I found it not installed, did install it, but something is not kosher. If I use a run command, it seems to be accepted. Something flashes on the screen and dissappears before I see it, almost.
Now I need to find out how to properly run it. My intention is in using it to access my winmodem as per instructions found. Maybe in tweeky. They are:
to setup a symlink:

rm-f /dev/modem<p>
ln-s /dev/ttysx ;x in my case is 3 for com 3 in windows

I also found reference to echo atz/modem/ttys3 ;x in my case is 3 for com 3 in windows
It looks to me like these are all console command lines. Anyway I will try it that way and see what I see.
If you never hear from me again it means the darn thing blew up and I was killed in the explosion:>)

COM3 in windows translates to /dev/ttyS2 in Linux. Windows starts the numbering at 1, and Linux starts it at 0.

For what you are trying to do, you will probably have to run minicom as root. In any case, you normally have to run minicom as root the first time, and save a default configuration. Run "minicom -s". This is the setup mode. "man minicom" for more information.

Mikkel