On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 18:49, cbowyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Lite-On Combo DVD-Rom/CD-RW Soho 5232.
> Recently I updated from Mandrake Community 10.0 (where this device
> worked perfectly) to Mandrake Official 10.1. I did this by reinstalling
> Linux. I have a Dual-Boot system with Windows XP SP2. In Windows I have
> no problem using this device and I can also boot from the device with no
> problems.
> However, when I tried to install from CD, the installer began the
> install process, but could not detect the device when trying to access
> the install packages.
> I then installed from HDD (where I had the iso packages stored in Windows).
> When I launched Linux, I again found that it will not mount or find my
> Lite-On drive.
> Can somebody please help me as I'm confused as to why it suddenly would
> not work going from 10.0 to 10.1.

Can you boot a linux live cd such as knoppix or Mandrake Move and do
stuff?  There are a gazillion of these live cd things around now to suit
any taste.  Everyone should have one or two for troubleshooting and
linux advocacy.  I like MM, pclinuxos, Mempis and classic knoppix in no
particular order.  You can download all of these or get them cheaply
from places like Cheapbytes, Linuxcentral or Linuxcd.

What does the output of hdparm -iI /dev/hd(whatever the cd is) under
knoppix or MM look like?

Can you install using the Mandrake CDs on another machine (to test if
the CDs are good)?  Can you re-install 10.0?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

--
N. B. Day
N 30, 1.2033 W 90, 4.0460