On Friday 18 February 2005 18:04, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Dennis Myers wrote:
> > On Friday 18 February 2005 05:05 am, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> >>I'm looking for an external USB hard drive with > 80 GB and
> >> Mandrake compatible.  The MDK hardware list seems a little
> >> outdated and not very informative.  And I know to avoid
> >> Western Digital ones.
> >>
> >>Recommendations ?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>
> >>Kaj Haulrich.
> >
> > Kaj, I have an Acomdata external that works well. Only thing is
> > I have to remount it every time I boot up the comp. Have not
> > figured out why it does not mount automatically. Anyway I see
> > in harddrake that it has a Samsung harddrive. Mine is a 120gig.
> > I would think that any of the usb externals should work at the
> > plug in. HTH
>
> If you have more then one partition on a USB hard drive, then
> drakupdate_fstab doesn't mount it. It isn't "smart" enough to
> figure out what partitions are extended, and what partitons are
> data partitions, so if it sees more then one, it plays it safe
> and bails out. (drakupdate_fstab is called by hotplug when it
> gets a USB storage device, to handle mounting it.)
>
> I am working on a way to handle this using udev, and I have it
> working using udev, and supermount entries in fstab, but there
> are still a couple of problems with it. My supermount entries
> automaticly show up on the KDE desktop, and they always show that
> they are mounted. They are there even if the drive isn't plugged
> in. I think I have a way around it, but I have more work to do on
> it...
>
> Mikkel

Thanks, Mikkel and Dennis.  Same problems here.  Sometimes I',m
ready to go fetch my shotgun and kill whatever application changes
my fstab.

Going to Copenhagen now hoping to find a Samsung or Maxtor external
USB drive.  Have a nice week-end all.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *