Hugh Dixon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> From: black starfish [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> go to kernel.org get the latest source and compile it from "vanilla" source.
> i have better luck compiling from vanilla
>>> Hugh Dixon wrote:
>>> Not sure if this really belongs on this list, but here goes.
>>>
>>> I have downloaded the mandrake  2.6.8.1-24mdkcustom source, and tried to
>>> build a kernel - just for fun (am I too warped?) so made no changes to the
>>> config that I would expect to cause problems.
>>> The source does not link.  I get an error in arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o of
>>> two undefined references, thermal_interupt and machine_real_restart.

I haven't had any problems with compiling from 2.6.8.1-24mdk
kernel-source. I made 2 custom kernels so far.

>> That's what I thought.
>> I urmpied 2.6.8.1-24mdk, but it doesn't build.  I understand mandrake does
>> alter the code in it's sources, and I believe (rightly or wrongly) that I
>> may loos functionality/compatibiiity if I go for the vanila kernel.
>>
>> My real question is 'I urmpied 2.6.8.1-24mdk, but it doesn't build'.  Has
>> anyone else had this problem, and can they suf=ggest anything?
>>
>> Hugh
I am no-kernel cooker and just made a few of my own recently to
learn how-to do it, plus see if I could. So far no problems.

To give you an idea how many patches are applied to mandrake
kernels, take a look here:
http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/SPECS/kernel-2.6/
these are applied to the vanilla kernel tree, IIUC .. I am still
reading the kernel docs ..

If you mean you urpmi'd 2.6.8.1-24mdk-kernel-source and it doesn't
build, the I would uninstall *urpme* the kernel-source and re-install it, maybe
something got borked in the install. Can't hurt. But thats as far as
I got with my own kernel builds, and my nvidia driver builds now ;)

HTH
--
RickS
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x24AABE61