Ivica Bogdanovic wrote:
Dana Sat February 19 2005 16:45, Tom Brinkman je napisao:

On Friday 18 February 2005 10:32 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Ivica Bogdanovic wrote:

Does any body knows what is /dev/pts I got it in the fstab
and during the boot it says "no device or already
mounted"when i open /dev/pts folder i got 3 devices inside
marked with 0,1,2.I am suspecting on my sky star 2 card
because it is the only hardware that isnt setup on my system
but can any body tell me what is this device
Cheers

What version are you running? If you are running 10.1, did you do an upgrade? Off hand, I would say that the entry is left over from upgrading. I know 10.1 with udev doesn't use the pts file system. I will check 9.2 later.

Mikkel

I started to answer this thread in the beginning but wasn't sure of why I have # none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0 (disabled by commenting out) in /etc/fstab. The advice on cooker was to remove the line as 'pts' are no longer used. IIRC this was early on in 10.1 development at the time of switching from devfs to udev.

  So I believe you've got it right Mikkel, those that upgraded to
10.1 should either remove the line, or comment it out.

Ok i got it i commented it out so it doesent mount any more BTW i didnt upgrade i did clean install but never mind i got it off
thanks

Well, it is in my 9.2 system. But udev handles it differently. Instead of needing to mount the pts file system, udev creates the devices for you. At least, when I have xterms open, there is a /dev/pts directory, with the right entries in it.

Here is a description of what the pts file system is, and what it does:

http://www.linuxinfor.com/english/man4/pts.html

Mikkel --

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!