Run XF86config. Lets you set the resolution with several options.  For
example, selecting 543 should have it try to run at 1024 X 768 first and go
down in resolution if necessary.  You can also st it so it won't make the
screen so large you have to scroll off the edges.  You should know your
monitor verticle and horizontal refresh rates and the capabilities of your
video card if it isn't listed on the list before running the program.

>From: "Gilles Lahaie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [newbie] Monitor resolution settings
>Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:11:55 -0500
>
>Help!
>
>I want to set the screen resolution of my Q-71 monitor to 1024x768.
>Problem is that installation of Mandrake Linux 6.1 set default resolution
>to something around 1280x1024.
>When using xConfigurator, the default resolution is about 640x480 with the
>screen moved to the right... and screen is larger than the monitor.
>What should I do???
>Thanks

Here is a useful link for info on editing the XF86Config file:
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.5/

I had the same problem with too high a resolution and the icons being too
small to read. Using Mandrake 6.1, the system would not recognize my Matrox
G400 video card, so, I DL'd the XFree update (3.3.5) extracted and attempted
to install it. Could not get it to work, so bought the Mandrake 6.5 (with
3.3.5 included). The install went fine except for my mistake of telling it
to configure resolution at the highest thinking I could Cntrl-Alt-KP+/- to
change it.

That didn't work. Editing the XF86Config file is the best way to configure
it (IMHO). The file defaults to the first resolution listed in the Display
area for your server, and it will start up in that resolution. I edited
every listing in the "Display" area (cause I wasn't sure at that point which
'server' was being used) to only list the resolutions I might possibly want,
from highest to lowest, excluding the lowest of 640x480, as you found out it
is too large to fit on a screen.

That file is usually in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.
You can use the command: vi XF86Config to edit it from a terminal.

A final note: During the editing you can change the Virtual setting to 0,
not using that feature, especially since it uses more memory.
A final useful link: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/xwin/xset.html
HTH,