I have installed OpenOffice and KOffice both. From my experience they are no
big different but KWord is better than OO writer in the Chinese support. Also
KWord can import PDF files (not well functioned).

But now for most time I use KILE (KDE Integrated LaTeX Environment) to write
paper. It's frontend of LaTeX but very easy to use. You don't need to
remember that many LaTeX commands for writing something. You can use icons
instead. Also, if you are a LaTeX veteran, you can directly use commands.

Comparing to LyX which I gave up half a year ago, KILE is closer to LaTeX I
believe.

Q.H.