> Result of "which java" as follows:
>
> which: no java in
> (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbi
>n)

I guess this is the reason which means java is not in your path! You'd check
where you installed JRE. When java is in your path the command "which java"'s
gonna tell you the exact location of java.

Similarly what I got is

[EMAIL PROTECTED] which java
/usr/bin/java
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ls /usr/bin/java -la
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 30 Feb  4 17:32 /usr/bin/java
-> /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/bin/java*

I'm not sure what's going on with your /etc/profile. If you have exported the
PATH you edited, it's out of my mind why it's not working.

I didn't edit the /etc/profile, just simply made a symbol link to put the java
(/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_01/bin/java) into /usr/bin (/usr/bin/java). I guess this
way is more straightforward.

Here is a link that you may have interest, especially the step 7 there.
http://jabref.sourceforge.net/installation.html

HTH.

Q.H.