On Thursday 24 February 2005 14:38, Jose Rafael Carrero Leon wrote:
> > Hello !
> > I installed 10.1 for a friend and it would be wonderful if I could
> > access his computer from here because he lives very far.
> > How could I do that ?
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > Josenildo Marques
> Use SSH, you must be an user in the other machine or know the password
> for an existing user

To expand on that a little more.
ssh is much more secure than telnet. Just install the openssh-server package
on his machine, and openssh-clients on yours and then open a terminal and
enter
ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]

He must have port 22 open in his firewall to allow the ssh connection in.

Your security is only as good as the passwords you choose. So make a strong
password or else someone **will** hack into his computer.

You can make the security stronger by setting his shorewall firewall to only
accept ssh connections from your IP address.
In his /etc/shorewall/rules insert a line
ACCEPT  net:your_ip_addy                fw      tcp     ssh

then 'shorewall restart' to apply the new rule.
This assumes of course that your IP address does not change.

You can make ssh even more secure by implementing private keys as described
here
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:D2iGdSh6vZQJ:www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/openssh.php+mandrakesecure+making+most+ssh&hl=en

Then only users whose private security key is known to the host can make an
ssh connection.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net