On February 24, 2005 23:03, Lee Wiggers wrote:
> Finest list in computerland,
>
> I haven't seen an ntfs write question in a year.  Has the write
> issue been resolved?  Can I safely share with an ntfs partition now?
>
> Lee

Last I heard (a month or two ago), they had experimental write capability. But
they recommended against using it unless you don't mind if your partition
gets trashed. The problem as I understand it is that there is no published
ntfs spec, so they had to reverse engineer it, and they're not confident that
they've done that well enough to trust it. But you can always backup your
partition first, and restore it if you trash it (dd is good for this).

A newer approach is CaptiveNTFS. It relies on you having a version of Windoze
that supports ntfs (NT, 2000, XP) installed on your machine (not just access
to an ntfs partition). Apparently, it wraps the Windoze ntfs driver to make
it into a Linux driver. So the writing should be just as reliable as it is in
Windoze. I haven't tried it (haven't needed to), but I've read success
stories on the linux online news.

--
Ron
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine.

"As you know, necessity is the mother of invention.
I don't know who the father is. Remorse, I guess." - Red Green