john wrote:
Hello
I have just updated kernel to 2.6.8.1-24. I downloaded the nvidia driver from nvidia.com and installed per instructions. After downloading I tested with startx and everything worked fine. Upon reboot however, the driver would not load. Error message was: "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Screens found, but none were usable configuration". I have changed nv to nvidia and have tried the load "glx" and also the open source load instructions: Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so". This worked with the open source driver on kernel 2681-12. Any help would be appreciated in getting this working. I have checked for an os driver (Thac's rpms) but could not find one for the 2681-24 kernel. The new nvidia driver was supposed to remove the old driver but would there be anything else needing to be changed?
Thanks
John

If this happens only on reboot add "nvidia" to /etc/modprobe.preload