----- Original Message ----- From: "Miark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <newbie@linux-mandrake.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] I want to migrate to Mandrake

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:59:35 -0600, Teilhard wrote:

I cannot set wireless Internet in computer1. Now computer2
which uses the  same wireless adapter than computer1 (SMC2662W)
has Internet and works just  fine. Neither machine lists the
adapter in Hardwaredrake.

They probably do with usbview.

The protocol in  the machine where
the adapter works is wlan(0). If I go to Mandrake Control
Centre (Configure your Computer) and I select "Manage
Connections" it  doesn't give the driver the connection is
using, so, I cannot know what to  try in the computer1. I know
(If I am mistaken please correct me) that this  device is an
Orinoco device. Well, none of the Orinoco drivers work in
computer1.

Yes, I've had the same experience. I have a a USB wireless adapter that uses prism_usb, but I cannot set up the driver manually using it. I doubt it's a driver problem, though.

To end, the adapter SMC2662W is an USB adapter, and
I am using  Mandrake 10.1.

Ah. I hid a similar problem. I installed a wireless USB NIC on a machine, then had to reinstall 10.1 after a nasty power outage. After the re-install, I had a very tough time getting it to configure.

What I ended up doing was using Mandrake Control Center to set it
up as a LAN connection (not WLAN!). It spotted the USB NIC fine.
Then to get it working on my network, I used a small app called
wlanfe which allows you to configure the wireless connection.
That got it completely working. Then, once it was working, active
connection, I went back to mcc, added a real wlan connection, and
mcc found it just fine. I can't remember if I set up the wireless
stuff at that point or had to go to manage connections after
that. But that was the basic procedure: add it as a lan
connection, get the connection actually working with wlanfe, then
re-add the connection as a wlan connection, and optionally
configure it with Manage Connections if need be.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Miark. I got me the Wlanfe little program and I proceeded to follow your example, but I simply do not have an idea of how to configure the wireless nick as a lan nic. When I am in the MCC I get, for lan, the choice of configuring my Ethernet card and configure manually. I have tried to avoid configuring the Ethernet card because it is completely identified as an Ethernet card and I do not see the way to end with a Wlan device instead. Well, then I go to "manual" configuration and it is the same story as for trying for the wireless nic instead. No driver works at all and the Wlanfe simply remains idle. Is there any way you can help me by describing with more detail what you did? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Teilhard