Lee Wiggers wrote:

Laptop now boots with numlock "on". Also sets it "on" with startx. Annoying with the laptop because the keypad is embedded.

How do I change this?

To change it permanently, remove the "numlock" package using the package manager. To keep the package on the system but disabled, go to Mandrake Control Centre (Configure Your Computer) -> System -> Services, scroll down until you find numlock and remove the cross from the "on boot" box, and press the "stop" button. Click on "OK" and numlock is disabled.

If your GUI is broken for any reason, or if you prefer the command line, su to root and type "chkconfig --del numlock" which will disable the service(or disservice).

I had to do this because I have a Thinkpad, and I was going nuts because it was telling me that my password was invalid all the time, until it dawned on me that this silly service was running.

(It must have been designed for people who are in too much of a hurry to press the "numlock" key.)

cheers
Duncan