I have installed Gnome2.8, using Thac's packages, but have a problem.

There's no desktop panel!

The gnome panel package was installed, so I have uninstalled it and installed
it again. Still nothing, so I have no menus, applets, and so on.

Also, if I try to change the background from the default, there is just a
*very* quick flash of the box in which to change it, and then it's back to
the default desktop. The desktop has its normal icons on, and everything else
which is called up by the mouse right click, works.

As root, there is no panel, but I can change the background.

The gnome2.6, which is with Mandrake 10.1OE works great - I would just have
liked a later version. I installed the upgrade whilst in KDE, but did not
uninstall the previous Gnome first.

I can't find what the problem is, so any advice will be very gratefully
received.

Many thanks

Keith