On Tuesday 01 March 2005 01:03, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 03:10 pm, Keith Powell wrote:
> > In trying to sort the problem, I messed things up altogether and
> > Gnome would not start.
> >
> > So I uninstalled Gnome completely, and reinstalled all from Thac's
> > packages.
> >
> > Now, Nautilus starts and then I get an error message:
> >

> > There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.
> >
> > Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
> > work correctly.
> >
> > The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
> >
> > The last error message was:
> > Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure
> > occurred.
> >
> > Gnome will try to restart the Settings daemon next time you log in.
> >

> > But I just get this message each time.
> >
> > There is no Nautilus desktop.
> >
> > Incidentally, it would not install the Gnome-Control-Center
> > normally. I had to force its installation.
> >
> > Help, please, someone.
> >
> > Keith
>
> Sometimes, not always, a -devel file may be missing and that will put
> the hurt on the main app. Can you do a urpmi on say "gnome-devel*"
> and see what pops up?

Thanks for the suggestion, Dennis.

There wasn't a gnome-devel file to install, just many, many "libgnome-*"
library files not installed.

Unfortunately I have a monthly cap on my broadband usage, and am almost
there for this month; so I wasn't able to download them all to see if
any of them solved the problem. My new "broadband month" starts next
week-end, so I will have to wait until then before I can continue
trying to find the solution.

Thanks again for your reply.

Keith