Dennis Myers ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Has anyone had a problem with getting the Nvidia drivers to work with the -24
> kernel? I can not get an install on this and it does not give a real reason
> in the logs. This is the installer log print
> option status:
[...]

>   force tls               : (not specified)
>   force compat32 tls      : (not specified)
>   X install prefix        : /usr/X11R6
>   OpenGL install prefix   : /usr
>   compat32 install prefix : (not specified)
>   installer install prefix: /usr
>   utility install prefix  : /usr
>   kernel name             : (not specified)
>   kernel include path     : (not specified)
>   kernel source path      : (not specified)
>   kernel output path      : (not specified)
>   kernel install path     : (not specified)
>   proc mount point        : /proc
>   ui                      : (not specified)
>   tmpdir                  : /root/tmp
>   ftp mirror              : ftp://download.nvidia.com
>   RPM file list           : (not specified)
[...]

> -> Kernel source path: '/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-24mdk'
> -> Performing CC test with CC="cc".
> ERROR: If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
>        you either have configured kernel sources matching your
>        kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
>        on your system.
>
>        If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
>        you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
>        installed on your system. If you specified a separate
>        output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
>        the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
>        directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
>        the appropriate nvidia-installer command line option.
> ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
>        '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
>        on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
>        driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
>

> Does anyone know of a solution? TIA
Hi Dennis,
I had to add these with the 6629 driver,
--kernel-name=2.6.8.1-24mdk
--kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-24mdk
If this helps and it builds, as smiley suggests, make sure the
"nvidia" is in your /etc/modprobe.preload config file.

It would build but I had trouble with the 6629, same as Ron,
glxinfo and glxgears would run for root, but no users, new or old,
it would give segmentation faults. (strace showed the perms were
/proc related, mmx and sse, -tls some type of threading issues,
beyond my limited understanding. I posted this to the list, no replys,
so I kept looking for answers)

Ron mentioned the patched 6111 driver, I found this link on
www.nvnews.net
look for zander's reply from nvidia corp.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43896&highlight=kernel+2.6.8
I reverted back to 6111 and downloaded the patch for this nvidia driver.
Extracted the sources, patched them, added the installer parameters
and it successfully compiled.

My hardware is a GeForceFX 5200 with a nForce2 chipset and
All is working now  .. the only difference is,
While not noticable, its 100-150 FPS slower 8( than the
-12mdk kernel.

HTH somehow ..

p.s. also found this info on the club forum,
"[10.1/10.2+] dkms : a new way to install 3rd party drivers"
http://forum.mandrakeclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=32376
but don't know much about it. Dkms may make this easier when
upgrading kernels, and it was used for 10.1 and -12mdk from
the club CD's or DVD. May help someday.
--
RickS
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x24AABE61