On Thursday 03 March 2005 20:33, Phlod wrote:
> Hello everyone.  This is my first posting to this list, and I'm quite
> pleased that this list exsists at all.  Thanks for taking the time to
> read this.
>
> After searching through the list archive, I couldn't find an answer to
> my question, so I thought I'd ask here.  Please excuse me if this has
> been answered already.
>
> Anyway, what I want to know is, how much of a pain is upgrading to KDE
> 3.3, and what the best/most painless way to go about it?  I have the
> thracs.rpms repository added.  Is it really as simple as 'init 3', and
> 'urpmi kdebase-3.3.3-20'??  I've also heard people suggest adding the
> cooker repository and upgrading that way, but I'm rather leery of doing
> that, since I don't *really* want to run an unstable distro, no matter
> how stable it actually is.
> Also, if I do the kdebase upgrade, and still have older parts of KDE
> installed (Kopete, amaroK, etc.), will it blow up, or just run them
> until I upgrade those parts too?
> Sorry about multiple questions here, but I'm trying to avoid having to
> re-install, (which would be my kneejerk reaction if the KDE upgrade
> doesn't work).
>
> --Phlod

Actually you do not even need the 'init 3' You can upgrade KDE while you are
running it. Just do not try opening any new applications while you are
halfway through the upgrade.

Do NOT add Cooker repository unless you want to upgrade your entire system to
Cooker. Even though you only want to install KDE you will find 100's of other
packages will get pulled in as dependencies.

As soon as you upgrade kdebase with urpmi, any other application which depends
on kdebase will also get upgraded. That means most KDE apps.

And of course if you screw it all up you will still be able to log in with a
different Window Manager.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net