On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:36:27 +0000, Anne Wilson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 Mar 2005 17:21, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 March 2005 14:03, Christopher Taylor wrote:
> > > Some of the sites that I am looking at only have downloads via
> > > bittorent.  Can someone explain what this is and how it is setup?
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Bittorrent is a peer2peer file transfer protocol that is especially good
> > for big files such as iso images.
> > When you join a torrent you download fragments of the file from many people
> > at once and simultaneously you upload to other people.
> >
> > To use bittorrent install bittorrent and bittorrent-gui packages
> > Also make sure the mozplugger package is installed if it is not already.
> > (Restart your browser after installing mozplugger - mozplugger tells your
> > system how to handle most browser file types. For a torrent file it will
> > open up btdownloadgui.py for you)
> >
> > You should then be able to join a torrent just by clicking on the 'seed'
> > file displayed on web pages with firefox/mozilla/konqueror/opera
> >
> > If that does not work then save the torrent seed file to disc and then open
> > Menu>Internet>FileTransfer>BittorrentGUI and select the downloaded file.
> >
> > For Bittorrent to work you MUST open your firewall to permit uploading to
> > other users. Bittorrent does not permit 'leeching'. (Taking without giving)
> >
> > In your firewall open ports 6881to 6889 and 6969
> > If you have an external firewall then forward those ports to your Linux
> > computer.
> >
> > See http://www.bittorrent.com/introduction.html
> >
> It's also important to configure your upload/download, and don't forget to
> leave your connection live for a period after you have finished, to help
> those just starting a download.
>
> Anne
> --
> Registered Linux User No.293302 (http://counter.li.org/)
> Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
> Join the Club : http://www.mandrakeclub.com

Everything worked fine, for the most part.  I tried to download the
privateer remake which had a stated file size of 180.5 meg.
Bitttorrent ran at ~160 kps up until that point where the percentage
went to 99% downloaded.  The speed dropped to ~30 kps and kept
downloading.  There were uploads at a speed of 1 kps the entire time.
I went out for the evening with the download still going (200 meg and
still going).  When I got home the download was complete at 360 meg.
The game installed and now I have to learn how to play it.

I followed these steps:
1.  urpmi bittorrent
2.  urpmi bittorent-gui
3.  urpmi mozplugger (Failed on real-codec dependancy of mplayer)
4.  Went to website of download and clicked on file.
5.  Firefox asked to open of save.  Open was with bittorent gui so I chose that.

Thanks for all of your help.

--
Christopher Taylor - Registered Linux User #383327