On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, M Thompson wrote:

> I learned the hard way that the kernel supplied with MDK 6.1 is not the same
> as the one that you can download from ftp.kernel.org.  Apparently MDK 6.1
> ships with kernel 2.2.13pre??.  The final version of kernel 2.2.13 is found
> at ftp.kernel.org.

Actualy i think the vanilla src starts at 2.2.11, and then the feature
patchs are placed in intermixed with the various kernel upgrade patchs

> The "ide.2.2.13.19991111.patch" patch file was written to be applied to the
> final version of kernel 2.2.13.  I believe my errors resulted because I
> tried to apply the "ide.2.2.13.19991111.patch" patch to kernel 2.2.13pre??
> that came with MDK 6.1.

The ide patch intended for the kernel that shiped is contained in the
kernel-*.src.rpm, it only needs to be uncommented and rebuild

> In order to finally apply the patch, I had to remove the MDK 6.1
> kernel-source and kernel-headers using RPM.  I had to delete the
> /usr/src/linux directory.  I had to download the official kernel 2.2.13 from
> ftp.kernel.org.  I applied the "ide.2.2.13.19991111.patch" patch.  I then
> had to fix some broken links.  Finally, I recompiled the kernel to add
> support for my "Promise Ultra66 IDE controller."

standard proceedure for a kernel upgrade (the patch for the kernel version
we shiped is in the old/ directory btw)

> If any newbies are looking to patch the kernel, I hope your ride isn't
> nearly as bumpy as mine.  Mandrake "may" have released an update RPM that
> patches the kernel source to look exactly like the kernel source that can be
> downloaded from ftp.kernel.org.

Unlikely, we won't quit adding patchs to the kernel untill everything we
want is in it. We are thinking of shipping a kernel-vanilla for debugging
purposes