On Tuesday 15 March 2005 17:40, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:01:31 +0000, Derek Jennings
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > How can I enlarge the / partition?
> >
> > diskdrake in MandrakeControlCentre>MountPoints>Partitions can resize a
> > Linux partition, but that assumes that you have contiguous free space
> > available on your drive at the end of the current partition.
> >
> > A more likely scenario is that you have space on a different hard drive,
> > or on a different part of your existing drive, in which case the simplest
> > solution is to mount part of your current file system on a new partition.
> >
> > You could for example mount /usr on a new partition.
> >
> > When you use diskdrake to create a new partition and select a mount point
> > which already contains files (such as /usr), then diskdrake will offer to
> > copy the existing files to the new partition for you.
> > The new partition can then be mounted without any interruption.
> >
> > Note: I am not sure if diskdrake will remove the files from the 'old'
> > partition in which case they will still be there and consuming space, but
> > will be hidden from view by the 'new' /usr partition sitting on top.
> >
> >  In order to delete those files and free up the space you would have to
> > boot with MandrakeMove, Knoppix or some other liveCd distro and delete
> > them.
>
> Thanks, Derek. Probably, I was not clear enough: I have a 80GB hard
> disk with 5GB for /, 1GB for the Swap partition and the remaining for
> /home. What I am wanting is to have 10GB for /, stealing 5GB from
> /home.
>
> Paul
The answer remains the same.
diskdrake can shrink /home for you. It will probably have to be unmounted at
the time which means you will have to be logged in as root or else you will
not be able to unmount /home. (Or boot up with MandrakeMove)

The space freed up by shrinking /home is not going to be contiguous with your
current '/' partition, so the easiest way to make use of it is to mount part
of the file system on it as I described.
I suggested /usr because there is quite a lot of files in there, but you could
just as easily use /var or something.

PS: I suggest backing up /home first. I would hate to be accused of making you
trash all your data.

BTW: You only appear to be using 16GB out of an 80GB drive. I hope you are not
wasting that space with another Operating System?

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org