Steven Carrie wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my first cry for help on the newbie list.

I was tinkering with mandrake 10.1 and decided to upgrade to the cooker source. So I updated my urpmi sources and began to install. Shortly into the process the power failed because my PSU has gone dodgy. Now when I try anything with urpmi, I get the following error.

The system has also become unstable, not connecting network and trying to open MCC fails.

In /usr/lib/perl5 are directories for 5.8.5 and 5.8.6, the file urpm.pm does not exist as far as I can see.

So the big question! Can I fix this or will I have to make a fresh install? Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Steven Carrie

Steven; Been there, done that. You're looking at a fresh install from my experience. It took me about 2 hours to find out that I could have re-installed faster then fixing the problem.

Your problem occurred because urpmi tried to upgrade Perl, which is required for urpmi as well as MCC and a whack of other apps.

It will be a lot less painful and faster to re-install. Just make sure that you don't let the installer touch your /home partition. It's OK if it wants to create a mount point for it, but that should be all.

Hope that helps. I can sympathize with your situation since I went through the same thing. Good luck.

--
Mr. Geek
Registered Linux User #190712