On Friday 18 March 2005 11:26, Robert T. Yu wrote:
> Thank you for the answer and I hope I am not
> overstaying my welcome.
>
> If I were to do something like configuring Samba
> shares, do I have to login or SU as root? I figure
> that because I need to alter the smb.conf file.

Once you have su'd to root enter
konqueror &
to get a root copy of konqueror. You can edit smb.conf from there.

Alternatively, if you use KDE hit Alt+F2 and in the box enter

kdesu konqueror

Alternatively if you have a 'contrib' urpmi source defined install the package
ksambaplugin and then your KDE Control Centre will have a nice GUI from which
you can enter admin mode and configure samba.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org