JR wrote:
On Thursday 17 March 2005 07:59 pm, Tom wrote:

   OTOH, you didn't say if you need a SMP (more than one
processor), a Hi-Mem (1 gig of ram or more), or any other special
requirements.

<snip>

Tom,

Thanks a lot. I have a fairly standard laptop setup, so I think the standard kernel you linked will be fine.

Well, I had thought I implied that your chances of success with a 2.6.11 kernel on older Mandrake versions were questionable. That it would be better to wait a bit an install 10.2 if you need a 2.6.11 kernel. OTOH, if you install the kernel with -ivh, it will go in along side your current kernel, which you then can always fall back to if the new kernel fails.

Laptop, adds in another question mark. Many reports on cooker that 2.6.11 fails on some laptops. Mostly an i686/i586 issue. The only work around right now AFAIK is to try the i586 specific kernel.
(I've never had a laptop)

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrake/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.11.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

In explanation; while Mandrake is still primarily an i586 architecture distro, many things like glibc and the 'normal' kernel are compiled for 1686 to take advantage of that optimization and 686 specific cpu flags. Many laptop, C(yrix)-3 processors, and some others are not true i686 systems. C-3's aren't even true i586. The 10.2 installer has been modified to blacklist these systems an install the i586 kernel. 'Course if you install a 10.2 kernel on an older Mdk version, this protection is not afforded.

Type 'arch' in a console and press <Enter>, it'll probly return 'i686'. That only means that the cpu/cache reports itself as 686 architecture ....the system might not really be i686.
--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas