On March 21, 2005 02:02, Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:
> Every now and then this has happened.  I open konsole and there is no
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], I reboot when this happens and usual appearance
> returns.  Am I inadvertently doing something to cause this?
>
> Thanks
> Rosemary

Just a guess, but it sounds like something in the startup script(s) is causing
bash to hang (I'm assuming you're using the default bash, not some other
shell).

When you start konsole, it  starts bash to process your commands. If you have
a .bashrc file in your home directory, this gets run to initialize the shell.
The default .bashrc invokes /etc/bashrc, and if you don't have a .bashrc
then /etc/bashrc also gets invoked. /etc/bashrc does some initialization of
its own and also invokes all the scripts in /etc/profile.d. So there's quite
a bit of initialization that normally gets done every time you start a
konsole. (I could  have some details of the initialization incorrect or
incomplete; someone more knowledgeable about it can correct me).

Something in there could cause a hang, which would cause the bash prompt to
never show up in the konsole. Figuring it out might require some detective
work. You could try doing a <ctrl>-<esc> to see what processes are running.
You might be able to see what process it's hung on.

You could also try (as root) going into MCC -> System -> Users and Groups,
double-clicking yourself, and then you can make changes to your shell
setting. You could try adding a " -v" (without the quotes of course) to set
verbose mode - this might tell you what's going on while bash is
initializing. Or adding " --norc --noprofile" should prevent any
initialization from being done, which should stop the hanging if this is the
cause. I don't know if these changes will take effect until you logout and
login again, though, so I'm not sure if this will help when you're
experiencing the hang (and not having initializations may limit the
usefulness of the shell). I've never experienced this in Linux, so I'm just
guessing.

May not be applicable, but I used to work on a Solaris Unix system that had
path entries that were on remote mounted drives (via NFS). If there was some
problem mounting the drive, the shell wasn't smart enough to detect that the
drive was unavailable, it would just hang forever trying to access the drive.
A <ctrl>-C would interrupt the initialization and allow you to get a shell,
though with some of the initialization not done. But there were various bits
of Solaris brain-damage that Linux doesn't seem to suffer from, so I don't
know if something similar could occur.

HTH

--
Ron
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine.

"As you know, necessity is the mother of invention.
I don't know who the father is. Remorse, I guess." - Red Green