Thanks SigmaX it is working now.

A little strange though, when I installed a few days
ago, there was a message saying to use sndconfig.  I
tried under root but it would not be found.

Since then, I had replaced the NIC with a couple
different ones until I found one that would finally be
detected.  Wonder if that had anything to do with
sndconfig also not working?

I would expect something like that with windows but...

Reminds me of the first time I tried Linux a few years
ago: RedHat 4.1 would work fine at the command line
but totally lock up after installing X-windows.  I
wasn't impressed so I declined to run Linux until
recently.

Mandrake is giving me a better experience.  Though,
Knoppix worked wonderfully right off the bat, the only
one of the live disks that would, including
MandrakeMove, Ubuntu, Mepis, Slax, DSL and Gnoppix.

I am slowly being converted :-)