On Wednesday 23 Mar 2005 14:02, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Malcolm Candlish wrote:

> >>Before thinking of making a bug report, try using "modprobe" inplace of
> >>"insmod". The difference is that modprobe will load any modules that
> >>your modules needs in order to work, while insmod just tries to load the
> >>module you specified. The way things are structured, it is not unusual
> >>for 2 or 3 modules to need to be loaded for a driver to work. In this
> >>case, you probably need a common SCSI modules as well as the basic
> >>driver module. The reasion the common module code is in a seperate
> >>module is that it is used by many different modules, and will be shared
> >>by them if you have more then one loaded.
> >>
> >>modprobe dmx3191d
> >>
> >>Mikkel
> >
> > Dear Mikkel,
> >
> > I tried a you suggested with the following reult:-
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] malcolm]# /sbin/modprobe
> > '/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12.5mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/dmx3191d.ko'
> > FATAL: Module
> > /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12.5mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/dmx3191d.ko not found.
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] malcolm]# /sbin/insmod
> > '/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12.5mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/dmx3191d.ko'
> > insmod: error inserting
> > '/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12.5mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/dmx3191d.ko': -1
> > Unknown symbol in module
> >
> > Under insmod '-1 Unknown symbol in module', and under modprobe 'not
> > found' even though I included the full path!
> >
> > I don't know of any other modules that could be needed.
> >
> > Thank you, I do appreciate your kind input.
> >
> > Malcolm Candlish.
>
> Try "modprobe dmx3191d" instead. That is the form needed for modprobe.
> It will use the modules for the currently running kernel.
>
> Mikkel

Dear Mikkel,

I tried with the naked modprobe with this result:-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] malcolm]# modprobe dmx3191d.ko
FATAL: Module dmx3191d.ko not found.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] malcolm]# modprobe dmx3191d
FATAL: Could not open
'/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12.5mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/dmx3191d.ko.gz': No such
file or directory

dmx3191d.ko.gz does not exist as I have used gunzip which I repeated on
dmx3191d.ko just to be sure.

Prior to receiving your very kind e-mail, I posted an e-mail onto the list as
to whether I could use the 2.4 kernel with Mandrake 10.1 64 bit. I do know
that the requirede module will work in linux 2.4. However I am not so sure as
to whether it would work with Mandrake 10.1 64 bit.

Thank you so much Mikkel for your helpful support and time.

Malcolm Candlish.