I have exactly the same problem. I have googled but no answer. I messed in the menu and found it!!

If you have KDE, press the start (cannot think what else to call it), system, configuration, kde, system, login manager.

In there, select shotdown, and you can change the allow shutdown option top only root. If you do this from a VNC session, will have to login for real on the system and log back out to see the reboot and halt options.

Thanks
Dan

Russel Dains <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have just installed Mandrake 10.1. I am unable to
reboot or shutdown the system from the login screen.
The only available option is to type reboot or halt in
a command line. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.