Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Hi Mikkel

Finally remembered your email and went back and tried the above. I am in Mandrake after not starting ALSA. It also hung at "starting sendmail" so delected that too.

Yes I had a problem booting a while back when following some instructions to attempt to get a USB mouse going. I had the same problems with the boot stalling at ALSA. I booted with mouse pugged in and CD1 in and selected "upgrade" Can't remember all details now, but when got a desktop it was strange - too bigger icons etc and if the mouse was moved, the area under the cursor seemed to be obliterated. I rebooted and got the same, noticed the new entry so booted to that out of curiosity. The new entry had not been there before. I put the PS2 adapter on the mouse and changed the selection and it worked. I have been booting to that new numbered entry ever since - on the rare ocassions I do boot.

When I attempted the first install of Mandrake there was an issue also - where it said "proceeding, please wait", but nothing happened. Came to the list for advice had to unplug USB devices to get it to install.

Wonder if this will be sent seeing as deselected 'sendmail"!

Rosemary

Rosemary,
This give me some things to think about. It will probably be sometime Monday before I get back to you. Have a happy Easter.

Mikkel

There is no rush Mikkel. I really appreciate the time you have given already. Rosemary

The new entry is within lilo.conf and I may have mentioned it before ~ it involves the "devfs=nomount" append parameter.

Get back with you later. Awaiting some updated copies of some config files.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213