Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

RickSisler wrote:

SnapafunFrank ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

When within my system I issue the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /]# df
/dev/hda5             966M  714M  203M  78% /
/dev/hda1             966M   14M  903M   2% /boot
/dev/hda6             9.4G  5.1G  4.0G  57% /usr
/dev/hda8             9.4G  8.8G  693M  93% /home
/dev/hda9            1020M  312M  656M  33% /var
/dev/hda3              12G  2.0G  8.8G  19% /mnt/empty
/dev/hda4             3.4G  2.7G  712M  80% /mnt/win_h
/dev/hdb2              16M  2.3M   13M  16% /mnt/hdb2_boot
/dev/hdb5              92M   55M   33M  63% /mnt/hdb5_root
/dev/hdb6              92M   62M   25M  72% /mnt/hdb6_var
/dev/hdb7             3.1G  1.9G  1.1G  64% /mnt/hdb7_usr
/dev/hdb9             1.5G  1.4G  151M  91% /mnt/hdb9_home
/dev/hdb1              14G   13G  1.2G  92% /mnt/win_c2

I get a summary of all my partitions AND their names.

However, I'm unable to do this when I'm NOT within the system:

So, is there a file on the system that could simply give me this info by
simply reading it ?

Hi,
the *df* command reports free disk space from all mounted file
systems. So take a look at /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab which will give you the
names and mount points your looking for.
For more info.. man mount, fstab and df ....

Hopefully helpfull ..

Thanks for that RickS but as I stated above, the fstab on the system I'm trying to recover is somewhat unreliable.

( It starts that its mount point for one partition is /mnt for example. )

At present I'm even unaware of how many partitions that system has.

There are long ways of finding out but you have given me another place to look before I go there with tomsrtbt.

Again, your input is greatly appreciated.

The names are generated by whare they are mounted. This is controlled by /etc/mtab in the root partition, and is also reflected in /proc/mounts. The names will be different if you boot from a CD, and mount them, or if you move the drive to a different system. On a working system, the space information is calculated by the kernel.

You can get where things would normaly be mounted by looking in /etc/fstab on the root partition. If you had booted from a CD, and /dev/hda5 were mounted on /mnt, then the file would be /mnt/etc/fstab. (The rescue mode of the install cd has the option of mounting all the partition on /mnt, so that what would normaly be mounted on /mnt/empty would end up mounted on /mnt/mnt/empty, and so forth.

Mikkel

Thanks Mikkel ~ got all that and I now know that getting the names of the partitions that a system users has various ways of finding them out ~
but that no one file that relates specifically
to this is available to see from using another system to look in. Worth a try though.
--

Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213