On Monday 28 March 2005 14:12, Duncan Anderson wrote:
> SOTL wrote:
> >You missed the point.
> >
> >I was doing NOTHING with the root file system.
> >
> >I was simply coping data files [5 gb worth] from one directory to another.
>
> OK. I misunderstood. Were the two directories on the same hard disk or
> what?
>
> cheers
> Duncan

There were 3 failures each slightly different all occurred while I was using
MC under very heavy load.

HD Failure # 3

A more detail explanation of the last failure in which I was transferring a
file.

I had copied files from one computer into the computer I had named
Reality_Check [after the commic book characters] but I not placed them in my
desired location for some reason or the other.

Backpedal

Reality_Check was set up with
hda1 /boot as a 100 MB ext3 partition
hda2 extended partition
hda3 /       as 8 GB ext3 partition
hda4 swap 800 MB
hda5 /home 8 GB ext3 with one user branch
hda6 /home/branch/System_Data ~=43 GB Data Directory

When I had copied data into Reality_Check I had placed it in /home/branch.
I had meant to place it into /home/branch/System_Data

Data comsisted of 13 directories as initially transferred. Later on reflection
I deleted 7 of these directories as ones I did not want in that computer
leaving 6 directories of data.

The directory, My_Picture I was moving consists of NASA space and earth and
construction site jpg and tif picture files from NASA with the following
structure.

My_Picture

Subdirectories
1. Construction Project

Which has five sub directories
1-1 date directory 1
1-2 date directory 2
1-3 name directory -1
1-4 name directory -2
1-5 name directory -3

Subdirectory
2. Icons
Which has 3 Subdirectories
2-1 Tux_Pictures
2-2 Tux_Icons
2-3 BSD_Pictures

Subdirectory
3. NASA Pictures
Which has 3 sub directories
3-1 NASA-Space
3-2 NASA-Earth
3-3 NASA-Scientific_Images

Total is about 5 GB of data files.

At the time of the last failure I had decided to use MC to transfer files as
previous transfer had been by root so root permission was required to move
directory structure.
Half way through move of files from /home/branch to /home/branch/System_Data
computer stopped and refused to continue with HD making strange clicking
sounds.

Inspection showed trashed root directory

HD Failure # 2

Previous failure was when I was using MC when I enter / as start point of
search searching for test-XX where XX in file names is 01 to roughly 20. Each
of the test files contained at maximum 100 characters. There were a number of
such files as they had been credited over a period on a month and my
objection was to consolidate the ones I wanted and delete the ones I did not
want.
Half way through the search the computer stopped with the HD making beating
clicking sounds. For the search crash I was using MC as a user NOT as root.
Also the HD was set up with partitions exactly as it would later be and as
noted above for the third HD failure

HD Failure # 1

The details of the first crash are to foggy to relate exact details of events.

Frank