Mr. Geek wrote:
Miark wrote:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:16:23 -0500, Mr. wrote:

Has anyone had any success getting a USB Wireless adapter to
work? I'm considering buying one for my HP laptop because the
reception would stink if I bought the Mini-PCI card that HP
can provide.

I have a Syntax USB-400 that I bough new for less than $10. It has a Prism chipset, so it works great. No ndiswrapper needed.

But why not use a CardBus NIC instead? It would be a bit more
convenient than a USB NIC.

Miark

Well cover me with pollen and stick me in a bee's nest. To tell you the truth Miark, I was under the impression that this laptop didn't have a Cardbus slot until a few minutes ago.

There was a weird-looking slot on the side that didn't resemble a Cardbus slot, but I had a look inside and it has a single internal CardBus connector.

Instead of the usual two slots (one on top of the other), it has a pair of flaps (one swings up and another one swings down when you insert a card - or a finger for that matter), and the opening is double-height, but it only has the one set of connectors inside.

I was convinced that it was some type of Flash card slot, but it seems that it's CardBus alright. Serves me right for not looking farther.

I'll repost to get some recommendations on a good CardBus unit.

That sounds like a type III PCMCIA socket. It will accept type I, II, and III cards. I have the same thing on my Thinkpad. I wish they had went with 2 type II sockets instead. I could still use it for a type III PCMCIA hard drive when I needed it, but there are times when I want to use more then one type II card. But it is still better then some of the new laptops that only have one type II sockets.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!