On Fri, 26 Nov 1999,ben bradley wrote:
  | i believe, and this just might be me... but i don't think that you can use
winmodems with linux.... hence the name winmodem.... i think they will only run
with windows.... i know they won't run under dos.... anyone know if this is
true?   |    | ben   |

  | ------------------------------------------------------------
  | I Got My Free E-mail Account, Get Yours! - http://www.AntiOnline.com
  | AntiOnline - The Internet's Information Security Super Center!

Yes it is. Winmodems use software emulation for some hardware, and the code is
not on the modem, so the "drivers" are required. As a result I am told they are
SLOW! Best to get a "real" modem - meaning one with all the hardware in
hardware form.

MTC,

--
Ernie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

The measure of a man is in his honor ...