Anne Wilson wrote:

For the comfort of my eyes I wanted to read man pages in konqueror, but got the error

No man page matching to iptables found. You can extend the search path by setting the environment variable MANPATH before starting KDE.

I tried to set the variable - probably doing it completely wrong, but I've clearly screwed up $PATH.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] anne]# $PATH
bash: /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin: No such file or directory

I presume there's a text file somewhere that I can edit to clean this up?

Anne

There are a couple of problems here. The first is that PATH and MANPATH are not the same. The second is that $PATH is a shell varable that you set, or is set for you when you log in. You can defind a shell varable in a couple of ways.

VARABLE="some value"
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

What happens when you use $PATH, $HOME or any of the other shell varables in a command line is that the value of the varable is used when processing the command. When you type $PATH on the command line, you were in effect trying to run the command:

/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:

Bash complained that it could not find that command.

Now, as far as you not being to read the IP tables man page, I can not check on what pakage the man page is part of at the moment, but if noone else fills in that part of the answer, then I will get back to you later on it.

Mikkel

--
Remember:
Sometimes the dragon wins!