On Thursday 07 April 2005 07:52, Q.H. Wang wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Recently I got a problem that I could frequently receive emails, which, I
> guess, are supposedly sent to my colleague. Although most of those emails
> are spam mails, I believe, it's kinda annoying. Because I don't know
> whether this problem comes from? Could anyone tell something by analysizing
> the following property from one of those emails. It's a problem of my
> Kmail, or my mail server or the guy deliberately sent those emails to me.
> What could give me a hint is, my email box does appear in the "X-Real-To"
> area. Many thanks.

That is also probably the answer to your question.  The X-Real-To appears to
be the MTA's header that signals what it received in the mail header as the
target or To: of the mail.  The To: line that you see in Kmail is actually
part of the body of the mail message, not the mail header.  MTA's use the
header and not the body to direct mail to the recipient so the body piece is
ignored, except perhaps by your Kmail filters and the like.

So, it appears that some spammer has figured out that he can send mail to you
with a fake To: line in the body and try to avoid spam filters in that
fashion.  I have had this happen in my system as well with spammers forging
From: lines in the body instead in an attempt to bypass spam filters.  Since
my MTA actually filters on the headers, it doesn't work but I do see the
results.

You might want to create another filter and make it filter on the body and
simply dump all messages that appear to be for your colleague.
--
Bryan Phinney