On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> A simple question:
>
> In an earlier installation, I let Linux autodetect SMP and set up
> entries for both the regular kernel and the kernel-smp in my
> /etc/lilo.conf.

It shouldn't have installed the SMP kernel, the test for the newt install
seems is not so good.

> This time, I choose to say "No" during Install. I assumed that SMP is
> for dual or multimple processors and that therefore my single machine
> (AMD K6-2 400 Mhrtz) would not quality for SMP.

It doesn't really hurt anything, slightly bigger kernel is all.

> However, when I updated my kernel by clicking in MandrakeUpdate on
> "initscripts", Update automatically selected all 8 kernel files,
> including kernel-smp. So, kernel-smp is in fact installed on my system
> as you can see below:

Of course it is, MandrakeUpdate only shows _whats already installed_, thus
needing updated..

> [sher@adsl-77-232-173 sher]$ rpm -q kernel-smp
> kernel-smp-2.2.13-22mdk
> [sher@adsl-77-232-173 sher]$
>
> Just curious: what does this in fact mean?

that you have a /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13-22mdksmp, and the various modules
sitting on your HD (or atleast you have the "kernel-smp-2.2.13-22mdk"
entry in your rpm database) :)

> Is my computer using SMP?

Is your machine SMP, doubtful. Is your machine running an SMP kernel,
maybe..

(uname -r|grep -q mdksmp && echo "Yep this is a SMP kernel from mdk" || \
uname -a|grep -q SMP && echo "Well its not a mdk kernel but it is SMP" )

> Does it need it? Is SMP in fact installed and running on it?

I tend to hope one would know if their MB was SMP or not, but

cat /proc/cpuinfo

will tell you if there is more than one proccessor installed.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon