Hiya folks,

Relatively quick (I hope) question about kernel updates on a Mandrake 6.1
machine. I've been playing with Linux for a couple years, and have
recently stopped using Slackware in favor of Mandrake (with which I am
very impressed!) I'm in a position to encourage the use of Linux at
several technology departments within Cornell, but in order to do so, I'm
trying to get a better handle on it myself.

My problem is with kernel updates. Previously (with Slackware) I would
download source, compile it, and overwrite vmlinuz with the image that
I'd compiled. I do that now, and my /boot partition shows vmlinuz
pointing to the 2.2.13-22mdk kernel, as well as the system map and module
info also pointing to the new versions, but as soon as I reboot, it drops
back to the old version. I can't seem to get it to accept the new one,
even after re-running lilo and editing by hand lilo.conf.

I went into linuxconf to play around with the lilo configurations, and
hit a major roadblock. My linux partition is the secondary master
(/dev/hdc1 -- boot, hdc2 -- root, hdc3 -- swap), and so the 'root
partition' option under the lilo conf is /dev/hdc2. This works. My
machine dual boots perfectly between Linux and Win98. However, if I go
into the config and try to add a new kernel to lilo, or even to look at
the one that's there, it refuses to 'accept' even the options /that
already are in place/ because '/dev/hdc2 is not a valid linux partition'.
I've tried every other hdc partition, just /dev/hdc, and just /. It won't
accept anything. According to the help, the drop-down menu displays a
list of partitions there, but it doesn't.

I tried running Helios on a machine at one of the technology offices here
at Cornell, and encountered the same problem. That machine has only one
hard disk (though, for no good reason, it's the secondary master), and
Mandrake refuses to accept any setting as the 'root' partition for LILO;
it won't accept any kernel upgrades (at least, not in the fashion I'm
accustomed to) either.

Has anyone else encountered this? I tried looking through the FAQ, and
changed my LILO boot mode to linear (because my linux disk is a Maxtor
IDE 5 gig drive and reports itself oddly to Linux, even though it works
fine in BIOS) but that didn't matter.

Thanks very much, in advance -- I have several people here oooing and
aaahing over Mandrake, which has been up for two weeks on our network,
unlike our student lab machines, that crash every couple hours (one guess
what OS they're running...)

-Samuel Knowlton
Johnson Graduate School of Management
Technology Services