>Tom Jacobs
>P.S.  Is there an ls command that will allow the
>directory contents to stop at the end of each page so
>I can read them?

try:
ls | more

the | pipes the listing to more which pauses at each screen. Probably a
cooler way to do this, but this was my newbie solve.

Regarding your usability issues, hang in there. Linux seems to be a pain to
set up at every level. I think I've had configuration problems with just
about every piece of hardware on my system. Still, when you get it
configured, it really works. No more crashing. No more hanging. And the
ability to configure Linux is all right there in editable files. No, their
names and directories don't make a hell of a lot of sense to newbies, but
it'll grow on you. I'm willing to use a more complex system that allows me
to tinker with it when things do go wrong (unlike Windows, where things just
inexplicably go wrong). With things like KDE, RPMs etc, Linux is getting
easier to use every day. I fled from Windows because of stability like you,
and I have not been disappointed. My Linux system has never crashed or hung
once. For that, I'm willing to work with a steeper learning curve. Good
luck!

Gregg