Dear Civilme and friends:

I am so happy to hear that you can successfully backup files in SO51a. I
just tried it again, making sure that the "Always create backup" is
checked in Options, General, Save" and then trying both the default
paths for work folder and backup and my own. Both options involve
documents that are in my /home partition (as is the entire SO program,
including the binary, Office51 and docs).

Well, I failed once again. No problem saving. No error messages. Even
when my backup fails, I still get NO error messages. What could this
mean? In an earlier installation (when my SO binary had root
permissions) I got either a permissions error about saving (which made
sense since I had installed the 'root" SO binary as user) and an error
message about backups ("can't do backups").

This time everything seems to be right: I changed the "root" 70 meg SO
binary to "sher" SO and then installed it as user. No problem saving, no
error messages at all but still won't create an automatic backup of my
files upon saving.

Since Civilme has no problem creating a backup, then this proves that SO
should be able to create a backup in my case, too.

What could possibly be wrong?

Hope somebody out there can troubleshoot this. It's probably very
simple.

Thanks so much to everyone.

Benjamin

--