On Wed, 01 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> > Jack E Dorris wrote:
> >
> > is it possible to download applications for linux using windows98?  I
> > need to download extra support software, but I haven't been able to
> > make linux dial out yet.
> >
> > thanx
> > jack
> Yes, make sure the drive you save them on is mountable by your Linux OS.
> Then just open the software up in your Linux and go.
> SA

   Just to expound a little.  I've got 4 large partitions, 2 on each
drive.  All but the 1st partition on my second drive (Linux,
Mandrake) are formatted fat32 (vfat).  Reason being, Linux can
read/write to vfat partitions, W98 shouldn't (but can).  I can use
either OS to download files, copy from one OS to the other, and in
the case of 'stored' files, I can keep backups for either OS on a
vfat partition.  So too with .mp3's and .jpg's and such, stored on
a vfat drive they're available to either OS.  IOW's, Linux has no
problems at all with format types, Windows is another story, so
I've found it's best to keep 'common' areas vfat.

    With a Windows app like 'Explore2fs', rescue disks, boot disks
to save a failed Linux boot aren't all that necessary, eg., the
freshly compiled kernel panics ... no problem.  Boot windows, and
using Eplore2fs to access lilo.conf, change Linux back to the
previous good kernel.  No problemo

    All that said however, I'd rather rely on Linux to access w98,
than the other way around.  As I wrote in another post, the only
two Linux apps I have that won't work with a Windows partition are
NutScrape and starOffice.  'Course, other than Explore2fs, W98
doesn't even seem to know 'bout Mandrake  ;-)

    --
..      Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      .